What is User State Migration Tool? How to use User State Migration Tool? Is there any alternative tool to help you to migrate Windows or transfer files from PC to PC? This post will show you answers.
User State Migration Tool
User State Migration Tool is a command line utility program of Microsoft, which allows users to transfer files and settings between PC and PC with the scripting languages. User State Migration Tool allows a high-volume, automated deployment of files and settings. It also plays an important role in migrating user settings and files during OS upgrade.
In addition, User State Migration Tool has high complexity and a command line interface.
There are several attempts to provide access to its useful functionality by creating GUI wrapper for it. User State Migration Tool supports migrating from 32-bit to 64-bit, but it doesn’t support 64-bit to 32-bit.
User State Migration Tool can help you to transfer a lot of files, such as:
- Selected User Accounts
- Files and Folders
- E-mail messages, settings, and contacts
- Photos, music and videos
- Windows Settings
- Program data files and settings
- Internet settings
You may want to know how to use the User State Migration Tool Windows 10. Check out the detailed steps by reading the post.
Best Alternative to User State Migration Tool
Many users were looking for user-friendly software to transfer files from PC to PC as Windows User Migration tool is complicated and difficult to some extent.
MiniTool ShadowMaker is recommended as it not only enables you to transfer files to another computer, but also can help you to transfer the operating system to another computer with its powerful feature.
Transfer Files by Disk Clone
First of all, you can try to clone the whole disk to another computer. In this way, you can maintain all your files and settings of your source computer. And you don’t have to install the operating system on the destination computer because you just need to restore the operating system to the destination computer.
Step 1: Install and launch MiniTool ShadowMaker
- Launch MiniTool ShadowMaker.
- Click Keep Trial to continue.
- Click Connect in This Computer to enter its main interface.
Step 2: Choose disk clone source disk
- After entering its main interface, go to the Tools
- Click Clone Disk to continue.
- Click the Source module to choose the source disk.
- You can choose the disk from the drop-down menu. Here we choose the system disk.
- Click Finish to continue.
Step 3: Select the target disk
- Click Destination module to go on.
- Choose a target disk from the drop-down menu.
- Click Finish.
Step 4: Disk clone process
- After selecting the source disk and target disk, click OK.
- The disk cloning process will begin.
When the disk cloning process is finished, you will receive a warning message which has the following information.
Step 5: Restore the operating system and files to another computer
- When disk cloning process is finished, you can insert the target disk to the other computer.
- Boot computer from the target disk.
When you have finished all steps, you have migrated the files and the operating system to another computer. And it will maintain all your settings.
As a matter of fact, if you are migrating Windows 10 to another computer with this Windows migration tool – MiniTool ShadowMaker, your computer usually can run normally. But if you are migrating Windows 7 to another computer, you may encounter some boot problems due to incompatibility.
However, the alternative to User State Migration Tool – MiniTool ShadowMaker can help you to fix this problem easily.
Step 6: Perform universal restore
- Launch MiniTool ShadowMaker, go to Tools page, and click Media Builder feature to create bootable media.
- Boot the target computer from bootable media.
- Go to Tools, click Universal Restore to fix the incompatibility issue.
Now, you have successfully migrated Windows 10 to another computer and transferred files from PC to PC. In addition, it is very easy to operate even for those inexperienced people.
Transfer Files Through Backing Up
Now, we will show you another way to transfer files from PC to PC. It is the backup feature of Windows User Migration tool – MiniTool ShadowMaker.
Step 1: Launch MiniTool ShadowMaker
- Install MiniTool ShadowMaker on the source computer.
- Launch it, click Keep Trial and click Connect in This Computer to enter its main interface.
Step 2: Choose backup files
- Go to Backup page, click Source
- Choose Folder and Files to go on.
- Select the files you want to transfer.
- Click OK.
Step 3: Choose destination disk
- Click Destination
- Choose a target disk.
- Click OK.
There are three important things you need to pay attention to.
- MiniTool ShadowMaker enables you to create automatic files backup. Just need to click Schedule button to set the automatic time.
- The Incremental backup is chosen by default. You can click Scheme button to change.
- MiniTool ShadowMaker provides some advanced backup parameters. Click Options button to set.
Step 4: Perform file backup
- After selecting the backup source and destination, you can click Back up Now to perform file backup immediately.
- Or click Back up Later to delay the file backup process.
Step 5: Start to restore files to another computer
When the file backup is finished, you need to restore the files to another computer.
Step 6: Restore files backup
When all steps are finished, you have successfully transferred files from PC to PC with the User State Migration Tool alternative - MiniTool ShadowMaker. And this Windows migration tool even can help you to transfer operating system to a different computer.
To migrate Windows or files from PC to PC, I think MiniTool ShadowMaker is safer and easier than the User State Migration Tool Windows 10.
Category: Data Recovery ServicesCompany about: MiniTool Solution Ltd. is a software development company based in Canada. As a dedicated software development company, MiniTool Solution Ltd. provides customers with complete business software solutions in the data recovery and partition management industry.