What is File History? How does the File History Windows 10/8/7 work? Is there any alternative to File History Windows 10 to keep data and files safe? What is the difference between Windows 10 File History and backup? This post will show you the answers.
Windows 10/8/7 File History
The File History Windows 10 only can back up copies of files that are in Libraries including Documents, Music, Pictures, Videos and Desktop folders and the OneDrive files available offline on your PC. If you have files or folders elsewhere that you want to back up, you need to add them to one of these folders.
If your files are changed, the Windows File History will scan the changes and make changes in the copies. Whenever any of your personal files change, a copy of them will be stored on the location.
Over time, the File History Windows 10 will establish a complete history changes made to any individual document.
Do you know how to use the File History Windows 10 to back up your files?
How to Use
Step 1: Access File History Windows 10
- Type Control Panel in the search box of Windows to open Control Panel.
- Choose Security and Maintenance.
- In the popup window, choose File History in the left bottom of this window.
Step 2: Open File History Windows 10
- Click on the File History
- Connect the external hard drive or a large USB drive to your computer so as to save all files you need to back up.
- You can see that destination disk is listed here.
- Click Turn on.
Step 3: Start to Back up Files with File History Windows 10
Then, Windows File History will begin to back up files and folders.
After you have finished all steps, you will successfully back up your files to keep data safe.
How to Restore Personal Files?
However, if your original data is lost, damaged or corrupted, how can you restore your personal files with the File History backups?
Step 1: Open File History Windows 10
- Open File History Windows 10 with the same method of the above part.
- Choose Restore personal files from the left pane to continue.
Step 2: Start to Restore Files
1. In the popup window, you can see that all your backups are listed here.
2. You can choose the backups you want to restore according to the backup time.
3. Choose the files you want to restore and click the Restore.
4. Decide to replace the files or skip the files in the destination.
When you have finished all steps, the files will be restored successfully. So if you backed up files with the File History Windows 10/8/7 and have lost files in an accident, you can restore them with the Windows File History feature.
The Best Free Windows 10 File History Alternative
MiniTool ShadowMaker is a piece of professional backup software which can be used to back up files, folders, partitions, disks and the operating system. It is also a USB image tool.
It is also a piece of file sync software to help you to sync files to two or more locations to keep data safe.
MiniTool ShadowMaker can also help you to perform some recovery solutions when some accidents happen with the backup image.
And I will show you how to back up the file so as to keep them safe. It can also safeguard your PC by creating the system image.
Back up Files with Windows 10 File History Alternative
Step 1: Install and Launch MiniTool ShadowMaker
- Download MiniTool ShadowMaker and launch it.
- Click Keep Trial.
- Click Connect in This Computer.
Step 2: Select Backup Source
- Go to Backup
- Click Source
- Choose Folders and Files.
- Select the files you want to backup.
If you have too many files and folders to be backed up, you can also choose the Disk and Partitions to back up the whole hard drive or partition.
Step 3: Select Backup Destination
- Click Destination
- Select the target disk to save the backup images.
- Click OK.
The Windows 10 File History alternative – MiniTool ShadowMaker provide some advanced backup parameters so as to provide better protection for your data.
- The Schedule feature of MiniTool ShadowMaker enables you to back up files on a regular basis. You can set it to back up on daily/weekly/monthly/on event.
- MiniTool ShadowMaker provides you three backup schemes including Full backup, Incremental backup and Differential backup. The Incremental backup is chosen by default and you can click Scheme to change.
- The Options offers some advanced backup parameters, such as the backup compression level.
Step 4: Start to Back Up
- Click Back up Now to perform files backup immediately.
- Or click Back up Later to delay the backup.
When the files backup process is finished, you can see the backup task in the Manage page.
If the files are lost, damaged, or corrupted, you can restore the backup images to recover your data.
Windows 10 File History vs Backup Software
1.Windows 10 File History vs Backup in content
Windows File History backs up your documents, music, photos, videos and other files in the Libraries folder. While backup software is able to back up the system, disk, partition, the whole hard drive, as well as the operating system.
2. Windows 10 File History vs Backup in backup destination
Windows 10 File History only supports you to copy the files to an external hard drive or your home network, while the backup software supports you to choose the internal or external hard drive as the destination.
3. Windows 10 File History vs Backup in backup form
File History Windows 10 copy all your files to another hard drive, while backup software is to create a backup image to keep your data safe.
4. Windows 10 File History vs Backup in restore destination
Windows File History only supports you to restore files to the original locations, while the backup software enables you to restore files to other locations.
All in all, there are some other differences between the Windows 10 File History and backup and I don’t list all of them here. In my opinion, The Windows 10 File History alternative – MiniTool ShadowMaker has more powerful functions than File History.
Category: Data Recovery ServicesCompany about: MiniTool Solution Ltd. is a software development company based in Canada. As a dedicated software development company, MiniTool Solution Ltd. provides customers with complete business software solutions in the data recovery and partition management industry.