You may want to transfer files from PC to PC if you buy a new computer since the old computer doesn’t run well. How can you easily transfer files from the old computer to the new one? Take it easy now! This post will give you five effective methods for the computer to computer transfer.
Have a Need for File Transfer to PC?
Windows 10 is shaping up to be really good. Moving to a new PC is always an exciting time.
Before you start enjoying your new Windows 10 PC, there are essential things you need to do to get it set up, protected, and working properly. Including:
- Update Windows
- Get rid of bloatware
- Secure your computer
- Check your drivers
- Take a system image
Shiny new hardware and a snappy system are sitting there waiting to be used.
The problem is that your familiar files are sitting on your old PC, and you don't want to start over entirely anew. To ease your transition between PCs, here are some quick methods you can transfer your data.
How to Transfer Files from Old PC to New PC Windows 10 Method 1: Use an External Storage Device
Obviously, this is the way that most people may choose. If you have a sufficiently large USB drive or external hard drive in hand, you won’t spend more money on file transfer to PC.
All you can do is plugging the external drive into your old computer, moving your files & folders from the old PC to the storage device, then sticking the same drive in your new PC and copying & pasting the files to the new computer.
Using an external storage device to transfer files from one computer to another computer also gives you a backup of your data. In case something goes wrong, you can restore your important data.
Use MiniTool ShadowMaker to Clone Your Hard Drive
Perhaps you want to move all your disk data including Windows settings, applications, personal files, important documents, pictures, videos, etc. to let the new PC keep the same as the old one.
In this case, you can choose to clone a hard drive, which allows you to create an exact copy of your old drive on a new hard drive. Once a clone is complete, the new disk should be bootable on the new PC.
There are multiple cloning tools for you to choose, but here we strongly suggest using MiniTool ShadowMaker. Although it is a professional PC backup software for Windows 10/8/7, it can also be a hard drive cloning software because of its Clone Disk feature.
Step 1: Open MiniTool ShadowMaker
- Run this PC cloning software that has been installed on your old PC.
- Keep using the Trial Edition.
- Start a local disk cloning by hitting the Connect button in This Computer.
Step 2: Select a Feature
- Enter the Tools window by clicking the corresponding button in the toolbar.
- Choose the feature – Clone Disk from the following page.
Step 3: Select Disks to Clone
- Click the Source and Destination sections respectively to choose source disk and target disk for cloning.
- Ignore the warning to continue.
Step 3: Perform Cloning Progress
MiniTool ShadowMaker is performing a disk cloning. If the data on the old PC is too much, the process will take some time.
Please wait patiently.
After completing the disk cloning, just ignore the information. To transfer files from PC to PC successfully via cloning, you should do these things:
- Don’t shut down your PC. Just enter the Tools page and click Media Builder to create a bootable disc or USB flash drive in case system doesn’t start up due to dissimilar hardware.
- Remove the target disk from the old PC and put it to the new PC.
- If the hardware on your old computer is the same as the new computer, you can directly boot your new PC to the Windows desktop.
- If the hardware is different between your two PCs, the new PC will fail to boot after plugging the disk back. This is because of the hardware incompatibility.
In this case, connect the created media in advance to the new PC and boot your PC from it to enter MiniTool Recovery Environment. Next, use the Universal Restore feature to fix the issue.
After that, remove the media and you should boot your PC properly.
Method 3: Transfer Files from PC to PC over LAN Cable
When referring to file transfer between 2 PCs, you may consider transferring files from one computer to another using Ethernet cable. This way only allows you to transfer files between computers on the same network.
How to transfer files from PC to PC over LAN? The operations are a bit complex and you should follow these steps:
Step 1: Connect your two PCs with a LAN cable like Ethernet crossover cable.
Step 2: You should turn on Network Sharing on both computers so that you can transfer data between them. Here is the step-by-step process:
- Go to the search box of Windows 10 and inputcontrol panel, and then open this app.
- ClickNetwork and Internetfrom the Control Panel window.
- OpenNetwork and Sharing Centerand choose Change advanced sharing settings.
- Scroll down to find the option for file sharing, turn on file and printer sharing and then save the changes.
Step 3: After enabling network sharing on both PCs, now you should bring them onto the same network by setting a static IP address of the same class.
Follow the guide:
- Similarly, enter the network and sharing center. Then, click on theEthernet
- In the pop-up window, clickProperties.
- In the next window, clickInternet Protocol Version 4 (TCP/IPv4)and choose Properties
- You need to make different IP settings for your two PCs.
For computer 1, the IP address will be: 192.168.1.4
For computer 2, the IP address will be: 192.168.1.5
Subnet mask for two PCs: 255.255.255.0
- Then you can go to File Explorer in Windows 10, clickNetworkand both of your two PCs will be displayed here.
Step 4: Ensure the workgroup name of each PC is WORKGROUP. Just go to This PC > Properties > Change settings > Change if the value is different.
Step 5: Create a shared folder to transfer files from PC to PC.
- Create a new folder on the desktop, move all your needed files to that folder and then right-click on it to chooseGive access to > Specific people.
- ChooseEveryoneand click Add. Then, set Permission Level to Read/Write.
- After sharing the folder, go to another PC from Network, and then you can copy & paste the shared folder to it.
After reading this way, you may find transferring files from one computer to another using ethernet cable is so complex since it requires you to perform a few steps. Please follow each step for file transfer to PC.
Aprar from the methods mentioned above, you can also try other ways including use a transfer cable or use cloud storage to transfer files to new computer.
For small files of 2 GB or less, you can use Dropbox or Google Drive programs to share files easily between most computers. You will need to sign up for a free Dropbox or Google Drive account.
Then, you can upload PDF, Word, Excel or similar files onto the online account. Later, you can download the files by signing onto the account from your Internet browser on your other PC.
Category: Data Recovery ServicesCompany about: MiniTool Solution Ltd. is a software development company based in Canada. As a dedicated software development company, MiniTool Solution Ltd. provides customers with complete business software solutions in the data recovery and partition management industry.