When do you need to restore individual files? How to select a file or files to restore? How to recover files from a specific folder? This post will show you how to restore individual files from partition backup and file backup.
If you’re lucky, you’ll never need your backup. However, if you lose a file, you can restore files from your backup in Windows 10. Take a few minutes to learn how to restore a file from backup before you have an actual emergency on your hands. Besides, you’ll find that having some experience can help to ease the process if you need to restore one of your crucial files in the future.
The backup provides better protection for your data and you can restore files from them if you lost data. However, some of you may also ask whether it is possible to recover files from a specific folder if you just lost only one file or folder and you don’t want to restore the whole image since restoring the whole hard disk is time-consuming.
Of course, the answer is positive. Thus, do you know how to perform selective file restore or how to recover files from a specific folder?
Restore Individual Files from Folder Backup
In the first place, I'd like to show you how to select files to restore from folder backup.
Restore Individual Files via MiniTool ShadowMaker
If you have backed up a whole folder to safeguard your files with MiniTool ShadowMaker which is a piece of third-party backup software, you can choose to use it to restore files from backup.
MiniTool ShadowMaker provides a direct way to restore individual files with its Browse feature. In addition, the way to restore files from a specific folder is pretty easy.
Step 1: Launch MiniTool ShadowMaker
Step 2: Restore individual files
1. After entering the main interface, please go to the Manage page.
2. Then you will find the backups are listed here. If no, you can click the Add Backup button to add it to here.
3. Click the Menu button on the right side, and then you will get the context menu.
4. In the context menu,click Browse.
5. Next, you are required to select the backup version. Then click Next.
6. In the popup window, you can expand the folder and choose the individual file to restore. Then click Next.
7. Next, choose a location to save the restored file. Then click Next.
8. The selective file restore process will begin. When the process is finished, you can click OK and Finish. Then close MiniTool ShadowMaker.
When you have finished all steps, you have successfully restored the individual file. You can find that it is convenient to recover files from a specific folder with MiniTool ShadowMaker.
Restore Individual Files via Backup and Restore (Windows 7)
Now, we will show you the second way to restore individual files. If you have created a file backup via Windows snap-in tool – Backup and Restore (Windows 7), you can also use this tool to extract files from backup.
Step 1: Open Backup and Restore (Windows 7)
Step 2: Select files to restore
1. In the popup window, click Restore my files to continue.
2. In the popup window, you can browse or search your backup for files or folders to restore. If you need to restore individual files, you need to click Browse for files. If you need to restore folder, you can click Browse for folder. Here, we choose Browse for file to continue.
3. Next, you need to expand the backup folder and select the file to continue. Then click Add files.
4. Returning to the Restore File page, click Next to continue.
5. Then decide where you want to restore the file to. You can choose either the original location or the custom location and click Restore.
6. After that, the selected file will be restored. You can view your restored files and close this window.
When all steps are finished, you have successfully performed selective file restore. So if you need to recover files from a specific folder, you can try this way.
Restore Individual Files via File History
As is well known, File History is another piece of backup software of Windows. If you have backed up files via File History Windows 10, you can restore files from backup through File History.
The following content shows you the answer.
Step 1: Open File History
- Type Control Panel in the search box of Windows and choose the best matched one.
- Choose Backup and Restore (Windows 7) to continue.
- Choose File History at the bottom of this window.
Step 2: Recover files from a specific folder
1. In the popup window, clickRestore personal files.
2. In the popup window, you can expand the folder and select the file you want to restore. You can also choose a whole folder to restore. Then click Restoreto continue.
When you have finished all steps, you have successfully restored the individual file from file backup.
The above part has introduced three different ways to perform selective file restore from file backup. If you have created a file backup in advance and want to restore individual files from file or folder backup on Windows 10, try these methods.
However, you may ask whether you can restore individual files from a system image, a hard disk image or a partition backup. Obviously, you can do that by learning how to perform selective file restore from a partition backup.
Hope this post comes in handy if you are looking for methods to restore individual files from a backup on Windows 7 or 10.
Category: Data Recovery ServicesCompany about: MiniTool Solution Ltd. is a software development company based in Canada. As a dedicated software development company, MiniTool Solution Ltd. provides customers with complete business software solutions in the data recovery and partition management industry.