Usually, Excel files are your important documents. If they get lost or deleted by mistake, you must want to know how to recover deleted Excel files. In this post, various methods based on different situations to recover Excel files are introduced. No matter you are running Windows or Mac, you can always find a way to get your deleted Excel files back.
It's a panic thing for any of us who accidentally deleted a Microsoft Excel file, as Excel files can be complicated worksheets with pages of data and cross-referenced information.
If they get lost or deleted unexpectedly, you will ask: how to recover deleted excel files?
In practice, the situations of excel files loss are different. Thus, specific solutions are also diverse.
In the following contents, I will walk you through the steps to recover deleted excel files on Windows/Mac in different situations, including but not limited to:
- How to recover excel files from Recycle Bin or Trash
- How to restore excel files from backup
- How to recover deleted excel files via a third-party tool
Solution 1: Recover Excel Files from Recycle Bin/Trash
When you delete files from your computer, as long as you haven't emptied it, these files will not be deleted from the device immediately. It's easy to restore files from the Recycle Bin in Windows.
Solution 2: Restore Deleted Excel Files from Backup
This method also tells you how to recover deleted excel files without software. That is, how to restore deleted excel files from backup if there is an available backup file.
Of course, Windows and Mac are two different operating systems. So, their snap-in backup tools are also not the same. How to recover deleted excel files from backup in Windows 10 and Mac? We will introduce them respectively in the following contents.
How to Recover Deleted Excel Files in Windows 10 from Backup
Backup and Restore (Windows 7) is a Windows snap-in tool which can be used to back up your computer. If you have used this tool to back up your excel files, you will be able to restore your deleted excel files from the previous backup.
How to Recover Deleted Excel Files Mac from Backup
The built-in tool on Mac which can back up your computer is Time Machine. If you have created a backup of your Mac with Time Machine, you can enter Time Machine to restore specific files such as excel files from that backup.
To recover excel files from your Time Machine backup, you can follow these steps:
- Connect the Time Machine backup disk to Mac.
- Open a window that contains or once contained the excel files you want to restore.
For instance, you want to restore the items from a folder which is named as REPORTS, thus, you need to open that folder firstly.
- Select Enter Time Machine from the Time Machine menu. Then, you will enter the following interface:
2. Find the excel files you want to restore. There is more than one way to do this work:
- Use the timeline on the right edge of the screen to see the files in the Time Machine backup according to the backup date and time.
- Use the up and down arrows on the screen to switch to the last time the contents of the window changed.
- Use the Search function to find the target item and then move through time while seeing changes to that item.
3. To check whether it is the file you want to recover, you can select it and press Space Bar to preview it.
4. Choose the file you need and pressRestore. Then, the file will be restored to its original path.
Solution 3: Recover Deleted Excel Files via a File Recovery Tool
If there is no available backup for you to restore, what should you do then?
When you search for recover deleted excel file free online, you will see third-party data recovery software is recommended. Here, you need to select a reliable tool to recover your excel files.
MiniTool has such kinds of tools for you to choose:
- If you are running Windows, you can use MiniTool Power Data Recovery to retrieve your deleted excel files
- If you are using Mac, you need to use MiniTool Mac Data Recovery to get your deleted excel files back.
With MiniTool Power Data Recovery, you can rescue your lost and deleted files from computer hard drives, USB flash drives, memory cards, and more.
You can refer to this post to learn how to recover deleted Excel files in Windows and Mac.
Bonus: How to Recover Unsaved Excel Files
in some cases, you also want to recover unsaved excel files. For example, the excel file may be closed unexpectedly due to a power failure, or you want to restore an earlier version of the excel file.
- Here are two situations in which you can recover unsaved excel files:If the excel file is closed unexpectedly before you save the most recent changes,Document Recoverywill automatically open the next time you open the Office app. It will give you the opportunity to recover unsaved excel files.
You can get the detailed recovery steps in this article: Recover your Office files – Office Support.
2. If the Auto Recover feature of your excel is turned on, you can automatically save versions of the excel file while you’re working on it.
Learn the detailed steps in this post: Recover an earlier version of an Office file – Office Support.
After reading this post, you must know how to recover deleted excel files in different situations. You can just choose one method based on your actual case. Hope these solutions can help you out. Saving and backing up are always your best options.
Category: Data Recovery ServicesCompany about: MiniTool Solution Ltd. is a software development company based in Canada. As a dedicated software development company, MiniTool Solution Ltd. provides customers with complete business software solutions in the data recovery and partition management industry.