When Windows gives Low Disk Space warning or there is no enough space to save new files, most people would consider extending the very partition. Luckily, since Windows Vista, Microsoft adds the feature Extend Volume to system built-in Disk Management utility, which could help users enlarge a partition.
"I can not select extend volume as it is grayed out. I'm wanting to extend my windows 7 partition into the unallocated space to the right of it, but cant. I also have a small 30mb partition left over im wanting to extend the xp partition into it, this is also grayed out. please help."
This is the case with one of microsoft's Windows users, and many of us have encountered this as well.
Extend Volume Feature Will Be Grayed Out Under The Following 5 Situations
For Basic Disks:
1. The partition you want to enlarge is NOT a NTFS partition. Microsoft rules that Extend Volume feature in Disk Management only works to a RAW or NTFS partition.
2. There is no continuous unallocated space behind the primary partition you want to extend, or no continuous free space behind the logical drive you want to expand. For more information, please see Primary Partition vs. Logical Drive.
For Dynamic Disks:
3. There is no unallocated space on dynamic disks.
4. There is no continuous unallocated space behind C drive.
5. No continuous unallocated space is located behind mirrored volume, striped volume, spanned volume, and RAID volume, or continuous unallocated space is located behind only one segment of these types of volumes.
Extend Partition with MiniTool Partition Wizard
MiniTool Partition Wizard Free can help users extend both FAT32 partition and NTFS partition whether there is unallocated space on the hard disk or not. However, if it is the system partition, system reserved partition or EFI system partition to be extended, it is recommended to make a backup of your running OS or use MiniTool Partition Wizard Bootable (included in the Pro Edition) to do this job in case of any accidents.
Firstly, launch the partitioning tool to open its main interface:
Then, select the partition which needs extending (here, we extend partition G which is a FAT32 partition, and there is no unallocated space contiguous the partition), and then click the function "Extend Partition" from action panel.
Next, expand partition G by taking free space from an existing partition or from an unallocated space and drag sliding button to decide how much space to take.
At last, apply all changes if they are satisfying.
After application, the selected FAT32 partition will be extended. Now, download the partitioning tool - MiniTool Partition Wizard to solve the problem Extend Volume Gray out.
Category: Data Recovery ServicesCompany about: MiniTool Solution Ltd. is a software development company based in Canada. As a dedicated software development company, MiniTool Solution Ltd. provides customers with complete business software solutions in the data recovery and partition management industry.