The 3P (People, Parts, and Process) approach to service management is integral to meeting the ever changing expectations of managed service customers. The approach isn’t exactly something new – it’s been around for decades; however, when it’s applied to managed services, using the 3Ps can mean the difference between providing agile services to your customers and failing miserably at service delivery.
Here are some ways you can use this approach to improve your service delivery.
People are a critical part of service delivery. Providing a superior level of care involves more than just having enough people with skills/experience to do the job; it’s about having the right people, with the right attitude, to do the job. If you don’t, you’ll deliver bad service, never meet service objectives, and lose business.
- Use comprehensive hiring practices. Move beyond looking for skills and experience.
- Perform police background checks, social media reviews, or behavioral analysis to ensure you hire trustworthy and capable employees.
- Set expectations and inform your employees about the importance of security and privacy procedures. Have employees read and sign company policies at hire.
- Monitor and audit your employees and hold one-on-one or group training sessions to address any issues.
- Encourage open communication between your employees and managers. Ask your employees for feedback using frequent surveys and other anonymous methods. You’ll discover what’s actually going on, how you can make your employees happier, and what’s working (and not working) within your company.
- Retrain your employees regularly so they know what’s changed and how they can delivery effective service. Initial training just isn’t enough.
Your hardware, software, and facilities have to be robust enough to provide consistent, secure, private, and highly available managed services to your customers. Ask yourself: Why would a customer invest in your services if they are just as unreliable as what they’re doing in-house?
- Design your systems to survive any outage, failure, or disaster. Offer geographical redundancy for your facilities.
- Outsource operations to a relevant organization that has been audited and certified. Things like a SOC 2 Type II certification give your customers assurance that your operations meet core security, availability, processing, confidentiality, and privacy principles.
- Invest in enterprise grade firewalls and intrusion detection/prevention systems to protect data and keep your customer information safe.
- Update your firmware, operating systems, hardware and software regularly. Don’t leave this to the last minute.
- Restrict, document, and monitor employee access to systems, workstations, servers, and other devices.
- Invest in 24x7x365 proactive monitoring for your systems.
Effective and fully documented processes ensure service levels, enable proper resolution of customer issues, and help employees provide services that are transparent to your customer’s end users. Inform everyone who needs to know. When you build a new process, or update an existing one, make it easily accessible to everyone who uses it. Provide training and notifications where applicable.
- Develop processes for all key activities related to internal and customer operations. Don’t leave any grey areas as they’ll affect your service quality.
- Review and audit your processes on a regular basis.
- Take user and employee complaints seriously and always work to improve your processes.
- Get certified. Your customers need to know that your processes are designed to meet quality, regulatory, and service objectives. ISO 9001:2008 certification goes a long way in the managed services space. Document everything. Use a content management system (CMS) to keep track of your processes, including revisions, roles, and responsibilities.
There are plenty of reputable managed service providers out there that can help you with what you need. Use this knowledge to make informed decisions about where your managed services are heading.
For more information:Make an Inquiry about this report HERE!
Category: Managed IT ServicesCompany about: We are a managed service provider that is committed to providing everything our customers need under one roof. This means we offer everything you’ll ever need to customize, build, run and manage your IT infrastructure from a single provider. With Pathway, we take care of it all – business internet, data centre, cloud, communications, and disaster recovery. Visit www.pathcom.com or call 416-214-6363 for more information.