SiGe HBT technology was initially industrialized by IBM in the early 90s for the high-end computing and communications market. SiGe technology is the propelling factor behind the advancement of low-cost, lightweight, communications devices, and automobile collision avoidance systems. By the incorporation of SiGe technology, device performance attributes such as low-noise, high yield, smaller size, high-durability and temperature resistance, are enhanced. These multifunction, cost-effective and advanced features of SiGe materials allow them to be used in varied end-markets.
SiGe materials are highly competitive with the GaAs semiconductor materials, providing a cost and integration advantage Silicon germanium technology is expanding into varied end-markets such as telecommunications, computers, consumer electronics, automotive and military and aerospace. New developments in silicon germanium market such as expansion of bandwidth, high frequency applications and thermoelectric capabilities is expected to further boost the commercialization process. Moreover, rapid expansion of internet, high mobile adoption and growth in the global autonomous driving industry are the major opportunities lined up in the silicon germanium market in coming future.
According to a new market intelligence report by BIS Research, titled ‘Global Silicon Germanium Materials & Devices’, the global silicon germanium materials & devices market is expected to reach $5 billion by 2021.
This growth is highly attributed to the increasing requirement for huge data transfer, high applicability in wireless communication systems and rising demand from automotive sector for sophisticated sensors and radar systems. Moreover, the rapid penetration of IoT technology in the telecom, consumer electronics and auto industry, has led to an increased growth in the SiGe market. Apart from that, emerging opportunities in the 5G networking systems and autonomous driving electronics are expected to create huge impact on the SiGe market growth, during the forecast period.
Telecommunication & computer end-user segment dominated the silicon germanium devices market, accounting for a share of 57.3% of the total revenue generation. Rising demand of high speed data transfer, continuous product innovation based on silicon germanium technology and huge amount of investments being made by government particularly in data communication are some of the key factors driving the segmental market. However, during the forecast period, automotive segment is expected to create the largest growth opportunities for SiGe materials & devices, driven by the increasing growth in the automated driving sector.
The silicon germanium materials & devices market encompasses a wide array of material types such as source materials, substrates and epitaxial wafers; and devices such as wireless devices, RF devices and fiber optic transceivers. Innovative expansions in the field of microelectronic and optoelectronic devices, photovoltaic (PV) cells, and power devices have resulted into an unprecedented growth in the silicon germanium based materials & devices market over the last decade.
Epitaxy of germanium with silicon substrates and wafers has evolved as a cost-effective solution for the semiconductor industry owing to its narrow pseudo-direct gap behavior and compatibility with Si technology. Wireless devices segment was the largest revenue generator for the year 2016, followed by radio frequency and global positioning devices and fibre optic transceiver.
IBM, Infineon Technologies, NXP Semiconductors, Texas Instruments, TowerJazz, IQE Plc, MACOM, TSMC, Hitachi, RIBER, GlobalFoundries, Toshiba and Aixtron, among others, are some of the key players operating in this market. The major established players in the market are focusing on product launches and developments to introduce new technologies or developing further on the existing product portfolio. In August 2017, TowerJazz announced the development of SiGe Terabit platform-based specialty RF and high-performance analog (HPA) manufacturing processes for specific applications including IoT, 5G cellular infrastructure, and autonomous driving.
Key questions answered in the report:
- What was the size, in terms of value ($million) of the silicon germanium materials & devices market in 2016, and what will be the growth rate during the forecast period, 2017-2021?
- What are different materials & devices being supplied by the key players in the silicon germanium materials & devices market?
- What was the revenue generation of silicon germanium materials & devices market for different end-uses in 2016, and what is their growth prospect?
- What is the market size of different materials and devices, in terms of value and their respective growth prospects and key developments?
- What is the silicon germanium materials & devices market size for different regions, on the basis of various types and end-users?
- What are the key trends and opportunities in the market, pertaining to the countries included in different geographical regions?
- How attractive is the market for different stakeholders present in the industry by analyzing the futuristic scenario of silicon germanium materials & devices market?
- What are the major driving forces that tend to increase the demand for silicon germanium materials & devices market during the forecast period?
- What are the major challenges inhibiting the growth of the global silicon germanium materials & devices market?
- What kind of new strategies are being adopted by the existing market players to expand their footprint in the industry?
- What is the competitive strength of the key players in the silicon germanium materials & devices market by market share analysis?
- Who are the key market players in the market, along with their detailed analysis & profiles (including company snapshots, their financials, key products & services, and SWOT analysis)?
Category: Market Research Publishers and RetailersCompany about: As an Owl on top of the Globe (Our Logo), BIS Research is continuously scanning, analyzing, and predicting emerging technology areas and reporting the same for your business growth. BIS Research is a global technology research and advisory company which focuses on the emerging trends in technology which are likely to disrupt the dynamics of the market. We strive to provide information about such uncharted territories to our clients so as to facilitate their decision making process. BIS Researc ...