The advancements in the domain of technology have benefited and are still benefiting the sector of healthcare in a way that seemed impossible just a few years back! Name any disease, any illness, and there is a plausible digital cure to it!
And it is not just any single technology, it is the combination of varied and dynamic technologies that are improvising the lives of people every day. We have not yet reached the level where technology has the answer for everything, but it does have a better alternative than before.
Check out this blog to find out about the recent trends in mobile apps in the healthcare application development and the technologies that are impacting it the most!
Current Trends Related to the Healthcare Sector
For every big or small thing, we do in our lives, directly or indirectly we have become dependent on using technology for it. Mainly, dependent on using our smartphones for it! So if are using it to complete so many tasks, why not use it to take care of our health too?
For some years now, the number of mobile apps in the sector of healthcare has gone up, majorly because of how well received they are becoming by the users.
People are becoming more health conscious by the hour. App development companies are making it easier for people to monitor their health in an easy way by making more health-focused apps.
In terms of numbers, the total revenue generated by mobile health apps in 2017 reached $26 billion globally. By 2022, the market for Health apps is going to increase to $102.43 billion.
Some of the most famous healthcare devices and apps that are being used widely are-
Technologies Impacting the Healthcare Sector:
- Internet of Things
- Artificial Intelligence
- Big Data
- Augmented Reality
Internet of Things:
Healthcare is a vast sector, and the implementation of Internet of Things solutions in this sector is very dynamic. The role that IoT plays is multi-fold.
Some of them are:
- Location Tracking- In cases of emergency, doctors can track the equipment required to conduct an operation or for treating the patients. It sometimes happens that one doctor uses an equipment and it might get misplaced. Keeping a track of the equipment saves the time of the doctors in finding that equipment!
- Using Hygiene Monitoring Systems- In every hospital, hygiene issues stand to be on the top. Healthcare professionals; doctors, nurses, come in contact with a lot of patients on an everyday basis, making the patients prone to infections. When a doctor/ clinician goes near the bed of the patient, a device set accordingly starts buzzing with the help of these monitoring systems. This ensures the hygiene of the patients.
- Enhanced experience of patients- With the help of IoT solutions, information of the patients can be stored in the cloud, if the hospital has access to it. Further, this helps in providing quality care to the patients.
- Devices for Monitoring Health- Devices of IoT help in monitoring the health of the people who are in need of it. These devices have the ability to analyze the information of the patient and store it on the cloud. When there is any significant change in the functions of a patient, the healthcare provider gets notified of that.
As the name suggests, AI has a mind of its own. It lets digital devices work and function on their own.
It also helps in analyzing the data and information on the cloud. Amongst all the industries, it is contributing towards transforming the healthcare sector as well.
Some of the ways in which it is doing so are:
- Monitoring the health of patient: The number of people caretaking one patient gets revised according to the seriousness of their illness. This can be defined with the AI-risk monitoring and treatment algorithms. The symptoms and EHR will record the patient's accurate condition
- More knowledge to patients- With the help of AI-based programs, patients can be in regular touch with how they are and exactly what is happening. for the patients who are in the hospital rooms, they can be engaged with the screens where they would be educated. Also, that would function as an instant two-way feedback device.
- Giving support to patients at home: The assistance of Artificial Intelligence is not necessarily in hospitals only. It is also beneficial for the patients who suffer from chronic illness and can not properly move too. AI Telehealth or sometime soon in future, AI Robots will be available for their caretaking!
- Health Assistants: With the support of Virtual Health Assistants, the health of the patient stays on track without having to put in much effort. These Health Assistants perform dynamic tasks. For instance, they remind you to take your medicines. They might also remind you of your doctor’s appointment, or give you advice on what to eat. This happens with the help of the data that you provide in the beginning. Once you do that, AI analyses it to study the behavior of the user further.
- Using Electronic Health Records: This is one of the most commonly used programs in Big Data that is helping the healthcare sector. It performs the exact same task as a patient chart. Except, it keeps an updated record of the patient’s data and information on a digital device.
- Preventing Privacy Issues: It doesn’t come as a surprise that the information of a patient is very sensitive and valuable. It is also very prone to leaking given that all the personal data of the patient is available there. With the help of big data analytics, a new alternative solution has come to light to keep the data of the patient secured. A lot of hospitals and organizations are making use of this to be sure that they are not vulnerable anymore.
- Waiting time can be reduced: Cutting down on excessive costs is a dream of any organization in any sector. Big data has the potential to bring the extra costs down. For instance, the scenario of the waiting section in a hospital gets improvised. Using big data predictive analysis, hospitals can get a fair idea about the number of patients expected to visit the hospital. If they are aware of this, the number of staff that is required to assist those patients can be allotted keeping that in mind.
However, as of now, not a lot of organizations have taken advantage of this!
- Eliminating the risk of errors: No matter how much we try, as humans, we are bound to commit mistakes. In cases of healthcare, these mistakes might cost the life of someone, and that is too big a risk. For instance, one small error in the prescription of a patient could mean they are taking the wrong medicines.
Because the program of big data is very accurate, the risk of any errors gets eliminated. Big data allows to store and analyze all the records of the patients. It also includes the medication that the patient is receiving. If there is any doubt in the medication, it immediately notifies about that.
- Helping patients at home: With the help of Google Glass and AR Built technology, doctors can see through the eyes of the patient. This helped in the cases where mothers had a problem with breastfeeding. Without having to go anywhere, the doctor was able to see through the eyes of the mother, where the problem lied. And instantly, the patient could get the answer to their problems!
- Operations made easier: For the surgeons, operating has become much easier with Augmented Reality. Any necessary or relevant information that is essential at that moment gets projected by the AR glasses in front of them in a second.
This not just enhanced their efficiency, but also made their work more accurate.
- Performing MRI’s with accuracy: MRI’s require a person to stay in one position for quite a long time. Especially, if it is a child’s MRI, it would be very difficult to keep them still for a long time. Apps like Current Studio assist you in calculating the time for which the patient can expectedly stay still.
This is how it works, the patient (mainly a child) plays a game before stepping in the MRI. That app then analyses and determines the time for how long the child can stay still.
With the possibilities that we have come to acknowledge, and everything becoming so advanced, it doesn’t come as a dream that very soon, we wouldn’t even need real doctors to treat us! The assistance that these technologies are providing us is commendable, and far above from what we could ever expect just a few years ago.
Hence, it wouldn’t be wrong to say that the future of Healthcare application development is magnificent!
Category: Mobile App DevelopersCompany about: The NineHertz is a Mobile App and Web Development company working for the businesses all around the Globe. We are active since 2008 and constantly maturing throughout our journey by creating prodigious apps for world's most inventive brands. We are specialized in Mobile App and Website Development, Digital Marketing, and providing Salesforce and E-commerce Solutions to a broad spectrum of businesses. We at The NineHertz strive for excellence in quality and seamless user’s experience. Business V ...
For more information: