Push Notifications gives your app a unique dimension of establishing direct communication with your users. Enabling push notification for your mobile application is a specific workflow depending on the respective operating systems.
What are Push Notifications?
Push notifications are messages very similar to SMSs that helps app publishers actively engage with their users. When the push notification is enabled, these notifications can appear irrespective if you are using the app or not.
Notifications are not actually a part of the native app but are sent using “Push Notification Services”.
These services are specific to their Operating Systems.
Push notification services emerged in 2009 when Apple Inc. launched their “Apple Push Notification Service” (APNs).
They were closely followed by Google’s “Cloud to Device Messaging” (C2DM). In 2013, push notifications went through a revolution with the conceptualization of ‘Rich Notifications”.
Rich Notifications are more advanced mobile notifications that can include images and action buttons. So, now users could open an app, play a song or view more information.
This has powered mobile application development companies to introduce more effective re-engagement and In-App purchase strategies.
How does push notifications drive In-App purchases?
These notifications are a means of direct communication with the users. It has turned into a convenient way for users to interact with the app.
At the same time, users are enabled to garner maximum value out of it. One can get live score updates, news headlines, traffic and weather update, and even updates for UPDATES!
Most applications use push notification as incoming message alerts like WhatsApp, Facebook, Instagram etc. Few apps use it to alert users about new content from their subscription like YouTube.
These are all very efficient re-engagement tactics but complimenting them are some push notification enabled sales techniques. There are some mobile app developers who are using push notification to drive actions within their application.
Like promoting products and offers, introducing active customer service, converting unknown app users to known customers, and communicating transactional receipts.
Mobile applications use push notification to nudge users to become premium subscribers. E-commerce apps use alerts to notify about available stocks, drop in prices and sales.
And the ability to redirect users to their shopping carts or payment gateways has increased the potential for in-app purchases.
How to patch Push Notification Services to your App and get started?
- The respective app developer will first have to register with an “Operating system push notification service” (OSPNS) specific to their OS. Then an API will be provided by the OS service and the app publisher will add the SDK to the app, which contains all the relevant libraries.
- The application is published on the app store, users download and install the app. When they engage with the app, the app generates Unique Identifiers (UIs) for the user and their device and sends it back to the app developer. They store and maintain these registration details.
- Now the app publisher creates a notification using a manual message through a message composer user interface and sends it via the API.
- The client app receives these notifications and they are displayed in the notification center in chronological order in iOS or in the form of banner pop-ups or as part of the lock screen in Androids irrespective of whatever you are doing on your device.
Things to keep in mind when enabling Push Notifications
- Remember that effectively applying push notification will involve several different functions. These functions will involve maintaining user information, user base segregation, targeted segment messaging, and developing personalized strategies.
- And therefore, many app publishers are opting for third-party enablers who take care of all these functions along with packaging, scheduling, and cross-platform management.
- It is important to note that for iOS devices users must opt-in to receive notifications. And so, the success of the app hugely depends on our opt-in strategy in place.
- It is important to remember that push notification is kind of a privilege for the app publisher. And so, they must use it responsibly and offer value to their customers. Meaning offering the right information at the right time and right place. Apps achieve this by using user’s location and behavioral data.
- Push notification is a direct form of communication with the user and therefore we need to incentivize the customers to opt-in by offering value.
Category: Mobile App DevelopersCompany about: The NineHertz is a Mobile App and Web Development company working for the businesses all around the Globe. We are active since 2008 and constantly maturing throughout our journey by creating prodigious apps for world's most inventive brands. We are specialized in Mobile App and Website Development, Digital Marketing, and providing Salesforce and E-commerce Solutions to a broad spectrum of businesses. We at The NineHertz strive for excellence in quality and seamless user’s experience. Business V ...
For more information: