Samsung Galaxy S8 will be the biggest release event for 2017. Read on to find out more about this best-selling smartphone series of all time.
Now in its 8th edition, the Galaxy S-series have always been the most wanted and most desirable of all the South Korean devices.
To put things into perspective while we wait for it to debut, why don’t we do a throwback about Galaxy S7 Edge which it is set to replace:
- 5.5-inch Quad HD Super AMOLED capacitive curved edge touchscreen with 1440 x 2560 pixels or ~534 ppi pixel density
- IP68 certified - dust proof and water resistant over 1.5 meters and 30 minutes
- Samsung Pay (Visa, MasterCard certified)
- Fingerprint and heart rate sensor
- Qualcomm MSM8996 Snapdragon 820 chipset, Quad-core processer made up of Dual-core 2.15 GHz Kryo & Dual-core 1.6 GHz Kryo, Adreno 530 graphics and 4GB RAM
- 12MP dual-pixel primary camera with f/1.7, 26mm, phase detection autofocus, OIS and LED flash
- 5MP secondary camera with f/1.7, 22mm, dual video call, Auto HDR
- 32GB internal storage + 200GB microSD card
- Non-removable Li-Ion 3600 mAh battery with Fast battery charging: 83% in 30 minutes (Quick Charge 3.0)
- Integrates DIRECTV right into the phone with a widget, app, voice command, and quick remote.
- Android Marshmallow 6.0 OS
- Dual Sim + 4G LTE
- March 2016 release date
- $799 USD price tag
Surely the Galaxy S7 Edge was on top for almost the entire year last year, minus the fact that Samsung suffered a major setback with its recall of Galaxy Note 7.
What’s in store for us regarding the Galaxy S8? Let’s take a closer look:
- 5.8-inch Quad HD Super AMOLED capacitive touchscreen with 1440 x 2960 pixels (~570 ppi pixel density)
- IP68 certified - dust proof and water resistant over 1.5 meter and 30 minutes
- Curved glass
- Metal body
- Corning Gorilla Glass 5 protection
- Corning Gorilla Glass 5 back panel
- Iris, fingerprint and heart rate sensor
- Qualcomm MSM8998 Snapdragon 835 chipset, Octa-core (4x2.35 GHz Kryo & 4x1.9 GHz Kryo) processor, Adreno 540 graphics and 4GB RAM
- 12MP primary camera with f/1.7 aperture, 26mm, phase detection autofocus, OIS and LED flash
- 8MP secondary camera with f/1.7 aperture, autofocus, [email protected], dual video call and Auto HDR
- 64GB internal storage + microSD expansion slot up to 256GB maximum
- Non-removable Li-Ion 3000 mAh battery with Fast battery charging
- Android Nougat 7.0 OS
- Dual-sim and 4G LTE
- April 21st 2017 release date
- $749 USD price tag
Galaxy S8 brings a lot of improvement to last year’s best-selling model. It can be said that a lot has changed in one year’s time if you are in the smartphone industry. Samsung seems to be hitting the right notes in many ways, especially with the larger 5.8-inch Quad HD screen. It may seem larger, but it sure is thin. To make it even more durable, the usual IP68 certification is there; plus the addition of Gorilla Glass 5 protection and Gorilla Glass 5 back panel.
Another additional feature found on the Galaxy S8 will be the iris scanner, which comes along together with the usual fingerprint and heart rate sensor. This means you can pair it with your favourite wearables better than ever.
Performance-wise, the Galaxy S8 is about sporting only the best of the best. Here you can find it comes with the top-of-the-line Snapdragon 835 chipset paired with the fastest and greatest Kryo octa-core processor, great graphics and 4GB RAM.
Camera-wise, you might see that it only comes with a 12MP-8MP camera combination, but a number of features found on both cameras are simply amazing.
As for storage, Galaxy S8 will have 64GB of internal storage which can be further expanded with the available microSD slot up to a maximum of 256GB.
If there’s anything slacking about the Galaxy S8, it would be on the battery side of things. It will only be supplied with 3000 mAh of battery capacity which might prove to be insufficient if you are a particularly heavy user. Just have a power bank ready and you are ready to go.
The latest Android Nougat 7.0 OS is there so you know you got all the latest features, functions and enhancements that it brings to the table.
If you haven’t spent a dime on any flagship yet and have been keeping a close watch on the smartphone industry, then by all means get yourself the Samsung Galaxy S8. If you are a user of the previous model like the Galaxy S7 or Galaxy S6, then it is about time to upgrade to this flagship phablet. It will be that great and amazing, that it will show its class throughout 2017 and the next year as well.
The Samsung Galaxy S8 is set for an April 21st release date. Pre-orders have started worldwide and it will set you back by $749 USD to get yourself a piece of this engineering marvel. It will be available in Midnight Black, Orchid Gray, Arctic Silver, Coral Blue and Maple Gold.
Category: Team WhaTechCompany about: Tech junkie by profession and passionate about anything from the digital world, movies, games and reading. He loves writing and hopes you enjoy his writing as much as he does. Eza, is also known as Don in the virtual world, but don’t him me wrong, he's not a mafia type he's really a nice chap and a devout family guy.