Can a sleeping giant beat a world-famous smartphone? Nokia 9, set to be released in a month or two, will go up against Apple iPhone 8 Plus; the latest in the long line of successful launches.
Things have been looking up for Nokia ever since HMD Global acquired them. There’s a slew of devices being released, and Nokia 9 is set to be its crown jewel for 2017.
Let’s take a closer look at the flagship Nokia 9 which has the following specs:
- 5.5-inch Quad HD AMOLED capacitive touchscreen with 1440 x 2560 pixels or ~534 ppi pixel density
- IP68 certified – dust and waterproof over 1.5 metres and for 30 minutes
- Fingerprint sensor
- Corning Gorilla Glass 5 protection
- Qualcomm MSM8998 Snapdragon 835 chipset, Octa-core (4x2.45 GHz Kryo & 4x1.9 GHz Kryo) processor, Adreno 540 graphics and 4GB RAM
- Dual 13MP primary camera with f/2.0 aperture, laser & phase detection autofocus, Carl Zeiss optics, OIS and dual-LED (dual tone) flash
- 13MP secondary camera with f/2.0 aperture, phase detection autofocus and 1.12 µm pixel size
- 64GB internal storage + microSD expansion slot up to 256GB
- Android Oreo 8.0
- Nokia OZO audio
- Dual-sim and 4G LTE
- Q4 2017 expected release date
- 750 Euro or ~$900 USD price tag
Nokia 9 will be sporting a 5.5-inch Quad HD AMOLED screen that is set to deliver great-looking images popping out from the screen. There’s also the advantage of the IP68 certification which makes it dust-proof and water-proof.
Moving on to its performance, Nokia 9 will be sporting only the best hardware available. Starting off with the high-end Snapdragon 835, blazingly fast Kryo octa-core processor, great graphics and 4GB RAM to boot.
Camera-wise, Nokia 9 will also be joining in the dual camera bandwagon, and what is even better – its dual 13MP primary camera is powered by Carl Zeiss. You can be sure of the highest quality when snapping photos. Then there’s the 13MP selfie camera that is highly capable of taking great-looking selfies.
The next thing that you will be worried about is the storage department. Thankfully with the Nokia 9, you should find the 64GB internal storage good enough for your apps and games. But if you are someone who loves taking photos in high-res, then you could add more space up to 256GB via the microSD expansion slot.
If you are an audio lover, then you are in for a treat with Nokia’s very own OZO sound system. Go on ahead to listen to your favourite songs and watching your favourite videos on it.
Last but not least, this flagship is set to be running on the latest Android Oreo 8.0. At the moment, only selected Google devices have been receiving this operating system, making Nokia 9 one of the few to be having it right out of the box.
Now let’s turn our sights on iPhone 8 Plus:
- 5.5-inch Full HD LED-backlit IPS LCD with 1080 x 1920 pixels or ~401 ppi pixel density
- True-tone display
- IP67 certified - dust and water resistant for up to 1 meter and 30 minutes
- Apple Pay (Visa, MasterCard, AMEX certified)
- Ion-strengthened glass, oleophobic coating
- 3D Touch display & home button
- Fingerprint sensor
- Apple A11 Bionic chipset, Hexa-core (2x Monsoon + 4x Mistral) processor, Apple GPU (three-core graphics) graphics and 3GB RAM
- Dual 12MP primary camera with (28mm, f/1.8, OIS & 56mm, f/2.8), phase detection autofocus, 2x optical zoom and quad-LED (dual tone) flash
- 7MP secondary camera with f/2.2 aperture, face detection, HDR and panorama
- 256GB internal storage with no expansion slot
- iOS 11
- Non-removable Li-Ion 2675 mAh battery with Fast battery charging and Wireless charging
- 4G LTE
- September 21st 2017 release date
- $949 USD price tag
If previously Apple through Steve Jobs said that they would not have a smartphone that is this big, it shows that even the mighty US corporation have to change with the times. iPhone 8 Plus has a 5.5-inch Full HD LED-backlit IPS screen. It also has the True-Tone display technology that automatically adjusts white balance to match the environment around you. With a wide colour gamut and the best colour accuracy in the industry, everything on the screen looks more brilliant and vibrant.
Performance-wise, we can see that the iPhone 8 Plus now has the latest A11 Bionic chipset. With six cores on it, four efficiency cores are now up to 70 percent faster than A10 Fusion, and two performance cores that are up to 25 percent faster.
Regarding camera, we can see that this is where Apple will once again show its strength in the form of a dual 12MP primary camera that comes with a lot of features and functions. The 7MP selfie camera is there to satisfy all your selfies cravings.
One distinct advantage it has is in the form of a hefty 256GB internal storage. Understandably so, because the fact like most Apple devices – there will be no expansion slot on the iPhone 8 Plus.
As for its battery, it comes with a much bigger 2675 mAh battery that ensures you have all the power for a full day of charge. A second‑generation performance controller provides more power when you need it while delivering the same great battery life. With no charging cable required, you can now go for a fully wireless setup.
Finally, iPhone 8 Plus is showcasing Apple’s most advanced operating system yet. New features and capabilities fundamentally improve the way you do things. The Files app brings all your data together. iOS 11 takes advantage of the security of Face ID and Touch ID to bring Apple Pay to Messages.
It will take a giant effort before Nokia makes it up there at the top of the smartphone industry. It will put its highly awaited Nokia 9 battling against other flagships as 2017 draws to a close. With this smartphone, you will get a great 5.5-inch Quad HD AMOLED screen, top-of-the-line hardware, amazing Carl Zeiss dual 13MP primary camera, large storage and the latest Android Oreo 8.0 operating system to boot.
Nokia 9 is expected to be available sometime in Q4 2017 for an estimated price tag of 750 Euro or ~$900 USD price tag. There will be plenty of colours to choose from, so gear yourself up for its release.
Apple iPhone 8 Plus is set to continue the grand tradition of great smartphones coming out from Apple. As always, you may have to wait for stocks to replenish before managing to grab one yourself.
Apple iPhone 8 Plus had just been released last September 21st and there are reports of stock shortage almost everywhere. It is available for $949 USD and you get to choose Silver, Gold or Space Gray.
Category: Team WhaTechCompany about: Tech junkie by profession and passionate about anything from the digital world, movies, games and reading. He loves writing and hopes you enjoy his writing as much as he does. Eza, is also known as Don in the virtual world, but don’t him me wrong, he's not a mafia type he's really a nice chap and a devout family guy.