We never thought a smartphone could replace a proper gaming device like your favorite console or a personal computer, but Asus ROG Phone 2 is about all doing that and more. That’s probably the reason why it was sold out in just 73 seconds. Read on more to find out all about it.
As the name suggests, this is the 2nd edition of the ROG Phone, let’s do a quick throwback to what it is all about last year:
- 6-inch Full HD AMOLED capacitive touchscreen with 1080 x 2160 pixels, 18:9 ratio or ~402 ppi density
- Fullview display
- Front/back glass (Gorilla Glass) & aluminium frame
- Fingerprint sensor
- Corning Gorilla Glass protection
- Qualcomm SDM845 Snapdragon 845 chipset, Octa-core (4x2.96 GHz Kryo 385 Gold & 4x1.7 GHz Kryo 385 Silver) processor, Adreno 630 graphics and 8GB RAM
- Dual 12MP + 8MP primary camera with PDAF and LED flash
- 8MP secondary camera
- 128GB/512GB internal storage with no microSD expansion slot
- Android Oreo 8.1
- Non-removable Li-Ion 4000 mAh battery with Fast battery charging up to 60% in just 35 minutes (Quick Charge 4.0)
- Dual-sim and 4G LTE
- October 2018 release date
- USD 900 price tag
Asus ROG Phone was one of the few smartphones that change the way we all look at a smartphone or gaming in general. Instead of getting ourself a smartphone, console or high-end PC; why not get this extreme gaming smartphone? It has everything you need and more, provided you have the money to spend.
Now then, fast forward to today, and we have the ROG Phone 2 in action. Here we go now with the specs:
- 6.59-inch Full HD+ AMOLED capacitive touchscreen with 1080 x 2340 pixels, 19.5:9 ratio or ~391 ppi density
- Front glass (Gorilla Glass 6), back glass, aluminium frame
- Fingerprint sensor (under display)
- Gorilla Glass 6 protection
- Qualcomm SDM855 Snapdragon 855 Plus (7 nm) chipset, Octa-core (1x2.96 GHz Kryo 485 & 3x2.42 GHz Kryo 485 & 4x1.8 GHz Kryo 485) processor, Adreno 640 (700 MHz) graphics and 12GB RAM
- Dual primary camera: 48MP with f/1.8 aperture, 26mm (wide), 1/2", 0.8µm and PDAF/Laser AF + 13MP with f/2.4 aperture, 11mm (ultrawide), Dual-LED flash, HDR and panorama
- 24MP selfie camera with Panorama and HDR
- 256GB/512GB internal storage with no microSD expansion slot
- Android Pie 9.0
- Non-removable Li-Po 6000 mAh battery with Fast battery charging (Quick Charge 4.0)
- Dual-sim and 4G LTE
- August 2019 release date
- $5,999 Chinese Yuan or ~$865 USD price tag
As you can see from the outset, everything about the ROG Phone 2 has been upgraded.
Starting with the obviously bigger 6.59-inch Full HD+ AMOLED screen, it is all about having a smooth and gorgeous visual effect. This is where you can find it equipped with 120Hz refresh rate and 1ms response time AMOLED 10-bit HDR gaming screen, excellent color accuracy and minimal lag for you to get the best gaming experience. Then there’s the Gorilla Glass 6 to protect it from any harm that could come your way.
What makes it even better is what you can find under the hood of the ROG Phone 2. High-end Snapdragon 855 chipset paired with blazingly fast octa-core Kryo processor, high-end Adreno 640 graphics and a whopping 12GB RAM makes for a speedy beast of a smartphone. But can it stand hours and hours of gaming straight in your face?
The answer to it is the matrix liquid cooling system found on this smartphone. The second-generation GameCool 2 introduces a newly designed 3D vacuum chamber that dissipates heat like never before. This ensures long hours of gaming without any of the overheating issues that you usually find elsewhere.
But isn’t the ROG Phone 2 smartphone that should be capable of taking photos with it? Yes, it is indeed. With a dual 48MP+13MP primary camera sporting the Sony IMX586 sensor, you can be sure of taking beautiful shots with it. Then there’s the 24MP selfie camera which ensures great-looking selfies all the time.
Bear in mind though, there won’t be any expansion slot available on the ROG Phone 2. Two options are available, with 256GB and 512GB of internal storage making up for it, which should be more than plenty.
Finally, a 6000 mAh battery capacity on the ROG Phone 2? Now that’s insane stuff right here. Since you will have some heavy-duty gaming on it, this huge battery should serve you with endless hours of gaming fun. And the Quick Charge 4.0 fast charging feature available, your break away from your game could be shorter than you think. It will be up to speed in no time at all, perfect for your next round of intense gaming.
Asus ROG Phone 2 changes the gaming landscape upside down. What we thought was previously impossible, this smartphone dares to redefine how we look at a smartphone – and a gaming device as a whole. Instead of putting your money on a console or PC, why not we game on this smartphone? It’s all you need and more, plus the price has come down a little bit. No wonder it is selling like hotcakes…
Asus ROG Phone 2 had just been released in China for 5,999 Chinese Yuan or ~ USD 865. There’s only one colour option available which is Black.
Category: Team WhaTechCompany about: Tech junkie by profession and passionate about anything from the digital world, movies, games and reading. He loves writing and hopes you enjoy his writing as much as he does. Eza, is also known as Don in the virtual world, but don’t him me wrong, he's not a mafia type he's really a nice chap and a devout family guy.