The arrival of Node.js created a rather positive buzz amongst developers due to its high effectivity. Since then, its popularity has been increasing consistently as compared to the other web servers. However, while there are so many options available out there, what makes Node.js better than the others?
Node.js is the best choice for developing real-time apps or data-intensive apps because of its high scalability and asynchronous nature. Brands like Netflix, Uber, Walmart are already making use of Node.js in their businesses, and that highlights its subsequent growth!
What differentiates Node.js from the other available options?
The applications in Node.js are highly scalable, i.e. their size and scale can variate.
The reason for this scalability is their non-blocking or its asynchronous nature. Since we are beginning from the basics, let us start with what asynchronous means.
Suppose this, a thread has been allocated to handle the request of a client, now while that thread is working on one request, it can not answer any other requests. Which means that while the first request is in moderation, you will have to allocate a new thread to respond to the new request by the client.
And that chain would go on. However, there will come a time when the threads will run out and new requests would still keep on pouring in. This is what blocking or synchronous architecture means.
Now suppose, a single thread can handle and respond multiple requests from clients. That would enhance the overall working and the resources would also be utilized efficiently.
That is why the Node.js development is different and better from the other alternatives, it has the capacity to work on multiple projects simultaneously, and this is what Asynchronous architecture means.
Benefits of using Node.js
- Faster development process: Node.js uses the model of asynchronous architecture, stating that the utilization of resources is more efficient, and a faster development of web applications takes place. For every developer who wants to build fast applications that work effectively, Node.js is a happy dream!
A lot of businesses have adapted to the framework of Node.js, and that is benefiting them a lot. For instance, LinkedIn opted for Node.js and saw a huge increase in its traffic, and at the same time, a huge decline in its server number.
- Real-time monitoring: Node.js is immensely useful if you want to track the number of individuals who are visiting your website. It can also help you monitor the way they interact with the web app in real time. This real-time information will help you in keeping a track of what the requirements of the customers are, and what you can provide them with to fulfill those requirements.
In today's time, before developing an app, the business wants to be immensely sure that they have the customer's real-time information. By real-time, we mean that the business knows exactly what the customer is looking for.
The focus area of every web development company has drastically shifted. Initially, it was to provide their services to the customers and make them like it. It is now towards understanding what the customers are actually looking for and providing them exactly that.
For knowing what the customers need, the businesses need to execute complete research and constitute the most accurate information about them. Node.js comes up with great assistance in this field as well, developing real-time web apps is considerably easy!
- Reduced processing time: One of the best aspects of Node.js is that while it is uploading a file, it enables the processing at the same time as well. This, in turn, saves a lot of time that might have been wasted on processing that data later on that comes in the form of audio or video streaming.
Although, the code written on a browser and server is not very different. But developers still find it easier to migrate anything between these two frameworks because of Node.js!
- Serves as a proxy server: Since the nature of Node.js is asynchronous, it can manage a lot of connections all at the same time. The benefit of this is attained when you want to collect data from various sources altogether. You can also proxy different services in their individual response time.
For instance, if a company does not have a proper proxy infrastructure, they can opt the framework of Node.js. This would help you in the storing or collection of additional data simultaneously.
- Open-source community: Node.js includes components that are open-source, making the framework all the more community friendly! It allows the web developers to add a lot of improvised and exciting features in their web applications. This tends to make the app more successful.
Whether or not Node.js is the ultimate technology in today's time is a very debatable topic. On one hand, it has been a very successful framework and is changing the working scenario for every web development company.
But the endpoint is that it is only beneficial for data-intensive and real-time applications.
As long as you want to enjoy the scalable network applications, Node.js is great for you! However, if you want to develop CPU-intensive apps, you might want to think twice before opting Node.js.
Hence, it would be unfair to say that Node.js is ruling the entire market. For now, it is in the phase where it has the potential to capture the market.
But it is still going to take some time before that can happen. But there is no doubt that it is definitely creating a huge traffic for the businesses that are adopting Node.js!
Category: Mobile App DevelopersCompany about: The NineHertz is a Mobile App and Web Development company working for the businesses all around the Globe. We are active since 2008 and constantly maturing throughout our journey by creating prodigious apps for world's most inventive brands. We are specialized in Mobile App and Website Development, Digital Marketing, and providing Salesforce and E-commerce Solutions to a broad spectrum of businesses. We at The NineHertz strive for excellence in quality and seamless user’s experience. Business V ...